Fourth Annual Boo Bash!
Join us...if you dare
Saturday, October 15, 2016 from 7-11 pm
From 7-11 pm
for our annual Fun-Raiser
The SIMPLE GIFTS BOO BASH COSTUME PARTY
at the Italian Heritage Center
40 Westland Avenue, Portland, Maine
$20 per person
Silent Auction with Great Stuff
Dancing with DJ Aaron Filieo
Click below to buy tickets
For more information, send us an email or call Mary Irace at 712-2028.
Bangor Savings Bank Award
Assistant Vice President Linda Cohen of Bangor Savings Bank Mill Creek branch presents a $1,000 check to board members Tony and Mary Irace in May 2015. Simple Gifts was one of six non-profits to receive an award from Bangor Savings Bank Foundation's Community Matters More program.
In July of 2016, South Portland/Cape Elizabeth Rotary made a $1,000 donation to Simple Gifts. Pictured from left to right are Vice President Sue Hilton, Rotary President Bill Anderson, and Simple Gifts President Mary Irace. Thank you, Rotarians, for your generous support!
In each of the past four years, from 2012 through 2015, Simple Gifts was awarded a $1,500 grant by the Margaret E. Burnham Charitable Foundation. We are grateful for their generous support since our very first year of operation!
Here are some of the "simple gifts" we've given out over the past several years
- A dad in the Bangor area with a wife and two young children who received cancer treatment at MMC and additional surgery in Boston received $100 in gas cards and a $100 Hannaford gift card as he was concerned about having the gas to return home from Boston and feeding his family until he could return to work.
- A retired veteran was critically ill and his wife was struggling with gas money and rides to the hospital to be by his side. Simple Gifts stepped in on several occasions to provide them with gas cards to make the visits possible.
- Danielle, a, social worker at MMC Pediatric Associates, noticed a family with four children (the youngest a 20-month-old with a chronic gastrointestinal illness) needed grocery and gas gift cards and also six pairs of boots for the family for winter). Simple Gifts provided a $100 grocery card and $25 gas card and partnered with Lamey Wellehan’s Store to provide the six pairs of boots for the family.
- A woman needing life-saving cardiac treatment was rushed down to MMC from Madawaska by ambulance and Simple Gifts provided 15 $5 MMC cafeteria vouchers ($75 in all) so her daughter could eat while she kept vigil by her mother’s side. Also Simple Gifts gave a $100 gas card so a neighbor from Madawaska could bring them back home by car after her cardiac treatment (they had no car as they had come by ambulance and the bus trip would more difficult and expensive).
- A wife, who works as a waitress, travelled 60 miles round trip for 50 days to visit her husband in the hospital as he received treatment for Acute Myloid Leukemia. Her husband had to take an unpaid leave from his janitorial job. They are praying for a remission so he can have a bone marrow transplant (Dana Farber found a match). Simple Gifts gave them a $100 gas card and a $100 Hannaford grocery card.
- A woman at Cary Medical Center in Caribou received $175 in gas cards to go for cancer treatments at Eastern Maine Medical.